Today the Commission has adopted a Delegated Regulation amending the Registry Regulation (EU) 2019/1122, following the revision of the ETS Directive in the context of the Fit for 55 legislative package.
This draft delegated act was published on the Have Your Say Portal for a four-week stakeholder feedback period.
The revised ETS Directive has introduced changes which needed to be reflected in the Union Registry. The main new elements in the Union Registry Regulation to reflect these changes are the following:
- Amendments related to the extension of scope of ETS to cover maritime transport as of 2024, including the rules and tools for maritime operators to enroll in the Union Registry for their ETS compliance;
- Amendments related to the new and separate emissions trading system for buildings, road transport and other sectors as of 2027, including the rules and tools for regulated entities to enroll in the Union Registry for their ETS compliance;
- Amendments to reflect the changes of compliance date in EU ETS Directive for operators to surrender allowances;
- Amendments related to the transparency and the integrity of the European carbon market, including the mandatory marking in the Union Registry of bilateral transactions of emission allowances, in order to improve market monitoring.
- Introduction of some elements of simplification.
For more information, please see here.